John Allen was born in Wilmot, Nova Scotia on 17 June 1784. He was the only son of Lieutenant Colonel Isaac Allen who commanded the 2nd Battalion, New Jersey Volunteers during the American Revolution. After the war, he moved his family first to Nova Scotia and then to New Brunswick where he received a grant of 2,000 acres of land at Kingsclear, just north of Fredericton.
Colonel Frances Button came to the Niagara Region of Upper Canada in February of 1798 according to his father, Major John Button’s Upper Canada Land Petition (1763-1865). John Button applied for and received 200 acres of land in York. This was approved on 17 Nov 1801. The family moved to the York/Markham area.
John Button according to his Upper Canada Land Petition dated 22 May 1798, “having been prevailed upon by his Relations” came to the Province on 6 Feb 1798. It is not known why he did not apply for UEL status but his loyalty to the crown was later proven. He did at this time request 200 acres of farm land in York. This was approved on 17 Nov 1801 having met the criteria “remains in the Province for 12 months or brings his family in”
Served in Detroit and in Queenston Heights. He volunteered once and was twice drafted and received a military pension.
Commanding Officer: Captain William Applegarth’s Company
This application is sponsored by the City of Fredericton, New Brunswick.
George Morehouse was the son of Daniel Morehouse of Queensbury, New Brunswick. His father had been a sergeant-major and quartermaster of the Queens Rangers and received a Loyalist land grant following the American Revolution. He later rose to the rank of major in the New Brunswick Militia and commanded the 2nd Battalion Carleton County Militia, headquartered at Woodstock, from 1810 to 1818. Major Morehouse was instrumental in providing assistance to military activity along the upper Saint John River during the war. Major Morehouse was charged with guiding men of the 104th (New Brunswick) Regiment of Foot to their post at Eel River in July 1812, and drilled the men of the 104th at that station in October of that year. He was later mentioned in the spring of 1814 as having aided in the conveyance of seaman from the Maritimes to Canada, where they were to join the British squadron on Lake Ontario. He also spent some time chasing a suspected American agent who was operating in the Woodstock area.
John Langstaff, one of 8 siblings, was born 1774 in Piscataway in the British New Jersey colony that would later become part of the United States. He came to this area in 1808. He married Lucy, daughter of Abner Miles of Miles Hill later to become Richmond Hill. Langstaff took over his father-in-law’s land at the site of toll gate number 3 on the Yonge Street Highway, two side roads south of Richmond Hill. The land was located on the northeast corner of the intersection later to become Yonge Street and Langstaff Road.
James Marsh was born Mar 11, 1796, one of four children and the only son of Robert Marsh and Sarah Bridgeford, née Smith being the widow of Robert Bridgeford and mother of David Bridgeford, James’ half-brother.
October 6th 1776, James spelled M-I-G-H-E-L-L-S but pronounced “Miles” was born in Brimfield Massachusetts, to Abner Miles and Mercy Hayes who had married January 4th, 1776. James was named after his Uncle. James moved with his mother, father and at least two sisters of his five sisters to Genesee, New York. James being 14 at this time would have assisted his father in their combined general store, inn, and cobbling business that served the first wave of settlers in that region.
Vanderburgh, Barnett aka Barnabas and Barney was born Dec 1786 at Poughkeepsie New York State, United States to parents Peter H Vanderburgh and Neeltje Dutcher, who all became United Empire Loyalist.
On 18 July 1811 he married Hannah Soules daughter of UEL Daniel Soules and Achsah Elizabeth Hollingshead at Thornhill.