The Lawrason family originated in Wales, United Kingdom but later emigrated to New Jersey in the United States sometime in the mid 1700’s. In the bio of the Lawrason family it appears that Miller Lawrason was born in New Jersey but remained loyal to the British during the American Revolution. After the revolution the family were persecuted because of their loyalty to the Crown and joined a number of other families, 46 in total and left the United States for what was then known as Canada West. They reached the Niagara area in July of that year but most of the land in this area was already claimed by veterans of Butler’s Rangers. They continued on until they reached 40 Mile Creek in what today is known as Grimsby. They called their new settlement “The Forty.”
When the War of 1812 broke out, all men between the age of 16 to 60 were required to join the Militia and Miller Lawrason along with his two sons John Purvis and Thomas joined. All three men served in the same company and their commanding officers and regiments changed over time. Miller Lawrason, who was the patriarch of the family was 44 when the war broke out, became a Private in the 2nd Flank of the York Militia under Captain Hector S. McKay. Like all members of the Militia who were farmers, Miller would take furlough’s during harvest time so he could tend to his fields. Lawrason served under McKay from 17 Oct 1812 to 19 Dec 1812.
Later Miller Lawrason would serve under Major Major Richard Hatt in the 5th Regiment Lincoln Militia. He then served under Captain Samuel Ryckman’s Company in the 2nd Regiment York Militia from 6 Jul 1813 to 10 Oct 1813 and under Colonel Richard Beasley of the 2nd Regiment York Militia from 5 Nov to the 12th, 1814.
On October of 1813, Lawrason made war claims for hogs, a two year old heifer, five sheep and other losses. On 2 Oct 1815 he made another claim for four hogs, a broad axe, a two years old heifer and a sheep.
Miller Lawrason made a land claim in 1839 as a Private in a Flank Company of the 2nd York Militia and received 100 acres on the east half of Lot 20, Conc. 3, Moore Township.
Miller Lawrason died in 1847 and was buried in the St. George Cemetery beside his wife Elizabeth Purvis Lawrason. The Lawrason’s headstones did not fair well over time and had been broken and migrated underground. They have recently been raised and placed on a concrete pad.
Veteran SummaryMiller Lawrason
Private , 2nd York Militia
Place of Birth
, New Jersey , United States
Place of Death
St. George , South Dumfries , CAN
Died on: 01 JAN 1847
Reason: Old age
Location of Grave
St. George Cemetery , 257 St. George Road
St. George , ON, CAN
Latitude: 43.2538N Longitude: -80.2568