Benjamin Vanatter/Van Etten came with his family to the Niagara region in about 1800.
During the War of 1812, he was a gunner in the 4th Regiment Lincoln Militia Artillery along with his future father-in-law, Jerry (Jere) Kentner. He received a Crown land grant of 100 acres in Caledon in 1832. He sold this property in 1834 and was encouraged to move to Erin Township, by his 1st Father-in-law, Jerry Kentner.
Frederick Near was yeoman as private in Capt. Hamilton’s Flank Company 2nd Regiment Lincoln Militia in 1812. Capt. Hamilton’s muster rolls shows his name from September to December 1812. He also served in Capt. Robert Grant’s Company in 1814. He was part of detachment erecting defense 27 April to 2 May 1814; works on Queenston Heights in May and June assembled at Mississauga Point; July and October on Third Riding.
William Ward, eldest son of career soldier, George Ward, grew up on the banks of the Thames River in an area called Paint Creek, Longwoods. Much later this area was named for his father and mother, George Ward and Margaret (Shaw) Ward. Both parents were born in Ireland but arrived in this area of Upper Canada as a soldering family. At the request of Lieutenant Governor John Simcoe, George Ward was appointed to command a block house on the Thames River as well as four gun boats. George Ward was also to establish a public house (halfway tavern/inn) in the Paint Creek area.
George Ward was born in Ireland in 1743 and as a young man he joined the British 58th Regiment of Foot, which was first formed in 1755 during the Seven Years war (1754-1763). He basically spent his entire adult life in service for the British. He served in many cities in Ireland, went to Quebec in 1776 and fought successfully at Three Rivers. Following that battle he became a sergeant over a company of the best marksmen from each of the 9th, 20th, 21st, 24th, 34th, 53rd and 62nd regiments. This company was ordered to Ticonderoga, where they beat the enemy at an outpost but were defeated later and taken as prisoners to Prospect Hill, near Boston. His great uncle was a Rebel general and as such offered George a position on his side but George declined and was later taken to Rutland where he along with 17 corporals and a drummer boy escaped. They headed for the British safe haven of New York.
Richard London SUE was born in 1772 in Greenwich, Sussex, New Jersey, USA. He was the son of Bartholomew London UEL, (Source: Upper Canada Land Petitions ‘L’ Bundle 20, 1837, RG 1 L3, V.295, Petition 54, C-2131, Archives Canada) a farmer, whom had suffered from being loyal to the British forces during the war.
“… he has been almost three months in one prison and from there removed to another when he was detained some time on suspicion of recruiting men for His Majesty’s Forces. He has suffered the loss of both health and property for his loyalty …”
Richard Hiscott was born in 1790 in Wiltshire, England. His application for a land grant shows that he was a weaver before he enlisted with the 76th Regiment of Foot in 1809 as a Private and retired from the same regiment having attained the rank of Sergeant in 1830 (National Archives in Kew, WO 97/874/28). During his service he participated as a member of 76th Regiment of Foot in the Peninsular War as part of Wellington’s Troops. In 1814 and after the British success against French troops in Spain the 76th Regiment of Foot was transferred to Canada (The Service of British Regiments in Canada and North America, Charles H. Stewart, Department of National Defence Library, 1926, Ottawa, p. 316). There Richard Hiscott with his Regiment participated in the closing stage of the War of 1812-1814 at the Battle of Plattsburgh. Following the war Richard Hiscott stayed in Niagara. After he retired from the army he successfully applied for a land grant for his 21 years of service in the British Army (National Archives in Kew, WO 97/874/28). Continue reading Richard Hiscott 76th Regiment of Foot→
James Clement was born the 15 Jul 1764 in the Mohawk Valley, New York. He was the son of Ludovicus (Lewis) Cobes (1725-1781) and Catlyntje (Catherine Eliza) Poutnam (1726-1807). He was a United Empire Loyalist and served as an ensign in the Indian Department towards the latter part of the Revolutionary War. He received a 2,000 acre land grant in Niagara Township after the war, as well as a town lot in Niagara-on-the-Lake (Upper Canada Land Petitions, National Archives of Canada, microfilm No. C-1647); Continue reading James Clement UE Lincoln Militia→
Levi Green was born in May 1783 in Hardwick, Sussex, New Jersey, United States. He was the son of Ensign Adam Green UEL and Martha (Smith) Green. (Source: Upper Canada Land Petitions “C” Bundle 20, 1836-1837, RG1, L3, Vol 213, Petition #87) Adam Green UEL, who was a recruiter for the New Jersey Volunteers, acting under Colonel (Judge) Nathaniel Pettit during the Revolutionary War, had Lot 24 Conc. 4, Saltfleet Township, and petitioned for additional land in 1794, after which he received an additional 300 acres (Lot 24, 25 and 26, Conc 5) adjoining. Continue reading Levi Green 5th Regiment Lincoln Militia→